Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Hope?

Commissioner of Baseball Robert D. Manfred, Jr. issued the following statement today:
"At my request, Tony Clark and I met for several hours yesterday in Phoenix. We left that meeting with a jointly developed framework that we agreed could form the basis of an agreement and subject to conversations with our respective constituents. I summarized that framework numerous times in the meeting and sent Tony a written summary today. Consistent with our conversations yesterday, I am encouraging the Clubs to move forward and I trust Tony is doing the same.”
Jon Heyman claims the two sides are near an agreement for ~60 games (Buster Olney says 65) and an expanded post-season with full pro-rated salaries. The PA would have to waive its right to file a grievance. I think Manfred knows that the players have a good case against the owners and that was a road no one wanted to go down. Weird shit can happen in front of an arbitration panel.

Let's hope Heyman and Olney are right.

--M.C.

No comments: