Friday, February 17, 2023

Webb to stay in camp

Logan Webb had committed to playing in the World Baseball Classic this spring but recently changed his mind. Here's a quote from the Maria Guardado article:

“It would have been really cool to represent the country and play with a lot of those guys, but the main thing for me was to be here with these guys,” Webb said. “We’ve got big goals this year. I want to be a part of that effort. Being here was important to me.”

The 2023 Giants are a team without a star. At least that's what everyone has been saying! But that overlooks Webb, I think. He's certainly the team's ace and he has been one of the best pitchers in baseball over the last two seasons (26-12, 2.97 ERA, 2.90 FIP, 8.2 fWAR). He's a local boy (Rocklin) and has two brilliant post-season starts against the Dodgers on his résumé. A healthy Logan Webb will be the face of this year's club.

Joc Pederson is still listed with Team Israel and Camilo Doval will represent the Dominican Republic. The WBC runs from 3/8 to 3/21.

--M.C.

1 comment:

Zo said...

I had a Madison Bumgarner today (sandwich at Ike's). I passed on a Logan Webb and a Matt Cain, apropos of absolutely nothing.