Saturday, February 13, 2010

Prognostication, pt. 2

I had a dream last night that the 2010 season was played 10 times. I don't remember any of the seasons individually, only the aggregate results. I have attempted to summarize those results in a spreadsheet below. I am new to GoogleDocs and whatnot, so if it comes across a bit amateurish, well, that's because I'm an amateur.

Nonetheless, here it is. You can see that AZ does better than SF--I can only assume it was a case of having more youth in the lineup. I do think the Giants have a shot, but it would take the following scenario: Huff and Molina both cede playing time to Ishikawa and Posey, who both contribute positively. Schierholtz and/or Bowker emerge as ML-capable players. Sandoval repeats his impressive 2009 or comes damn close. The team pitches as well as last season, that is, if someone has a drop-off, someone else steps up to close the gap. A mid-season acquisition makes a big contribution. A veteran has a career year.

I think that is a lot of "ifs" so I am skeptical of this team improving on last year's performance. If that makes me a naysayer or a Negative Nancy, that's cool. I have no fear of being wrong. After all, wrong is right in this situation. If the Giants are a real contender, 2010 will be hell of a lot of fun, and what I squawked about in November or February will be irrelevant. And if someone wants to go "neener-neener, I was right" I'll be so happy about the Giants winning that I won't give a shit.

Have at it, ya wankers.


4 comments:

JC Parsons said...

.
wins CO LA SF AZ SD
.
95- 1 1 1 1 0
.
90-94 4 3 4 3 0
.
85-89 3 4 3 4 2
.
80-84 2 1 1 1 4
.
-79 0 1 1 1 4

Here's my version. Basically I see it as very close, in general but especially between Colorado and us. I wasn't that optimistic until I went through your checklist. Not only are all of those doable but it doesn't seem that unlikely that ALL of them could happen the same year. Thanks for the pep talk.

JC Parsons said...

Sorry, all the spaces went away.
I can say that while MOC gave us a 90% chance to stay the same or get worse, I gave us an 80% chance to stay the same or improve.

JC Parsons said...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot:

Neener-neener, you are a Negative Nelly, er, Nancy? Gender issues, too?

M.C. O'Connor said...

You cant neener until you have something to neener about--like the Giants in 1st place!