Sunday, January 22, 2012

Matt and Tim

Q. What pitchers do you enjoy watching?
A. Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain with San Francisco. Once a year I take my whole wine team down to see the Giants and we meet the players. I’ve never seen anyone pitch like Lincecum that can throw the ball and get through the front leg. He has that stiff front leg. In essence, his throwing arm does not bull whip or backlash. So he doesn’t put all the secondary energy into his shoulder and his elbow. He’s got a chance to pitch for a long time. I don’t like the mechanics from the standpoint of what they do. But he’s learned to compensate and finish with the correct motion.
Q. Is there a pitcher who reminds you of yourself?
A. Cain is very similar mechanically to the way I threw. Very similar.

You can read more of this interview with Tom Seaver here. (Hat tip, Baseball Musings.)
--M.C.
 

5 comments:

M.C. O'Connor said...

DOES NOBODY CARE THAT TOM FUCKING SEAVER THINKS MATT CAIN AND TIM LINCECUM ARE BEASTS???

Shankbone said...

I care. I bring up Seaver (and Gaylord Perry) every conversation involving The Horse and The Franchise leaving. I also think Sabean is just crazy enough to go all in for both of them. Until they're gone or signed, its just negotiatin'... Thanks for the link, I enjoyed that article a bunch.

M.C. O'Connor said...

Did you see the story that says the Giants offered Tim 5 years and $100M?

If Cain is looking at $15M this season I wonder if they could get him for 5 years and $90M (16,17,18,19,20 for 2013-2017).

Cain will be the first domino. If they can't get Tim this off-season I think I'd prefer a one-year arb settlement and then try again next off-season on a long-term thing.

Go for it Sabes, go "all in."

Zo said...

A deal has been reached between Tim Lincecum and the Giants for two years and $40.5 million. That does not take away any of Lincecum's free agent years, which I understood was one of the objectives of this off-season. We did get him signed, but then, we had him under control anyway. It was only a matter of dollars. I'm hopeful that a deal can be cut with Cain, but so far, the offseason has consisted of 1) Melky and 2) Pagan. That's it.

M.C. O'Connor said...

From Extra Baggs:

Lincecum’s agent, Rick Thurman, emailed this statement to me: “Although we were not able to work out a longer-term deal, we found common ground in a two-year deal,” Thurman stated. “This doesn’t preclude continued negotiations for Tim to remain a Giant for the rest of his career.”