Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Seven Strong Tim

After a much needed day off, the Giants got back to what made them great and beat the Toronto Blue Jays, 2-1.  Just enough offense combined with brilliant pitching and excellent defense. I don't know about you, but I LOVE it.  Who wouldn't? And when the brilliant pitching is largely from our fallen Ace, Tim Lincecum (4-5), well, I'm in baseball heaven.

"Seven strong" has always been one of my favorite baseball phrases. Concise and clear.  It is a phrase that we used around here with great regularity back in the day.  Not so much this year. But tonight, Tim delivered a text book example: seven innings, three hits, 1 run, 1 walk, and six strikeouts. I know it is only one start and getting all excited about the return of Lincecum is absolutely premature. So, I'll just enjoy what the baseball gods served up tonight.  It was delicious.

Every win during this tough stretch is big.  Every good start from Tim is big.  We may look back at this game as ... big.

(Only bad part: Arizona won in the 14th against the Cards. Oh well.)

2 comments:

M.C. O'Connor said...

That was a spooky sequence in the 6th (walk to the pitcher, hit by Melky, line drive from Bautista) but the gods and the 2nd base ump (Marquez!) came down on the side of the Giants. Nice to catch a break when it was needed.

Tim was great, let's hope it's a harbinger of things to come.

Brother Bob said...

I think Marquez made the right call (for a change) but it was indeed weird. Scutaro lost the ball after the out was accomplished.
Bro, I'm happy for you. I know how you suffer when Timmy struggles.