Sunday, October 1, 2017

64 and Done

SD 4 SF 5 

Well, this cesspool of a season is finally over and the amount of happiness that gives me is quite disturbing.  Today ended with the flash of a walk off homer ( by Pablo Sandoval, no less ) and some loving speeches for a great departing Giant; but there is nothing that can take away the stink and scars from of this year.  It started in April really.  And by May it was a done deal.  Amazing in a sick way.  This team is different than any of the other big losing squads of my youth and it has affected me more than I ever expected.

After years of genuine contention, all bets are now off and we all start from scratch.  Truthfully, I'm not sure I'm up for it any more.  One thing I learned from this horror of a team is that there are times to walk away from it.  I regained some of my life by getting away from this team and I liked it.  So, all I can say is that I will let you know about next year and just how much I want to jump in again.

Time for me to pull the plug on baseball for awhile.  Maybe I'll check out the Indians for Mom's sake but I doubt it.  Enjoy the post season, but if the doggers do well, please don't tell me.


5 comments:

M.C. O'Connor said...

Champions are forged in the cauldron of hellish seasons!

Or something like that. The Giants are undefeated in October. There's a positive for you.

Henceforth I think 2017 will be The Year Matt Cain Retired. I was glad he got a chance to speak at the end of today's game, he handled himself well,I thought. I teared up, I have to admit. He had an amazing career and will certainly be missed.

We are keeping the name, of course.

Brother Bob said...

I practically demanded that homer from the Panda. So that was nice. I think '85 was the year I moved back up to god's country after my 10-year exile in SoCal, and I don't recall how shitty that team was. I was just enjoying sitting with y'all in the bleachers again. It's still hard to believe that Candlestick is gone. The new place is swell and all, but my best memories will always be at the old dump.
Next year will be much better.

Barbara said...

If there has been one thing I could count on the past forty years or so, it was that my baby brother would be a dedicated, borderline fanatic Giants fan. It is sad to see that this incredibly bad year seems to have quenched that fire. My hope is that we will have a good year in 2018, really good, and Jon will be sucked back in. Probably won't happen, but I am endlessly patient. I still remember the fifty-plus years without a championship. From my view, that is normal and the past several years have been the exception.

nomisnala said...

Looks as if Pablo's shoulder ailment has finally gotten better.

Ron said...

While I share most of your sentiments, Jon, I also know that my bitterness is accentuated, because of the dire political situation. Given the foundation of someone like Obama as President & some progressive things happening, I can endure other irritants, such as sports failures. I know many people who are like me these days - more angry & more easily-provoked to anger, because I believe that the Country is being ripped to shreds, led by the racist, misogynistic, infantile, dangerous narcissist who is the so-called 'President' & the lackies who enable him, either actively, or because the most that they can muster is 'concern'. Every week, there is more evidence that we should be in 25th Amendment territory, but that won't happen.

The Giants have sucked before, & they'll suck again. But, they'll also be excellent again.
2018 is a total mystery to me right now. Mostly, I don't think that they'll be very good - they have an old OF, shitty Relief Pitching, & many other problems, too. But, large market Teams can make quick turnarounds in MLB, & the Giants fall into that category. An Otani signing, a rebound Season from Melancon, Derek Law suddenly re-finding what we thought that he had, & some nobody suddenly emerging & rescuing our offense, & you never know.

I lost interest in the 2017 SF Giants months ago. I think that the last Game that I watched from beginning to end was the one that Jon & I attended together in late July. This Season, Rachel Maddow & Lawrence O'Donnell helped me keep my sanity, not watching the Giants.

But, I'm sure that, by April 2018, I'll be back on-board.