Thursday, October 3, 2019

9th inning: 8-10

1st inning: 8-10
2nd inning: 8-10
3rd inning: 5-13
4th inning: 10-8
5th inning: 11-7 
6th inning: 13-5
7th inning: 8-10
8th inning: 6-12
9th inning: 8-10

FINAL RECORD:  77-85 

If you prefer to look at months:

Mar/Apr 12-18
May  10-16
June  14-13
July 19-6
August 11-16
September 11-16

It comes out the same: three winning innings out of nine, or two winning months out of six, that makes one-third of the season they played .500+ baseball. If you spend two-thirds of your season below .500, you aren't doing well. Note that all the good stuff happened in the middle third. If you go by innings they were 21-33 in the first third and 22-32 in the final third. Bleah. By months it is 22-34 through May and 22-32 in August and September. A poor start and a poor finish means a lot to make up in the middle. 34-20 (or 33-19) is damn good but certainly not enough. But we knew this already.

--M.C.


p.s. I felt bad for the A's (I like Bob Melvin, I think he's a good manager) as they got beat by home runs by the team that--of all ten playoff teams--hit the fewest homers! And I felt bad for that guy in right field for the Brewers who let the ball hit by Juan Soto (who's 20!) turn into the game-winner. He tried to be a hero, a classic rookie mistake, and it blew up in his face. Baseball is full of things, if you are a fan, that twist your guts into knots! Why do we do this to ourselves?

2 comments:

Ron said...

I saw that Juan Soto hit live. I saw it as a wild & weird bad hop - the OF took the right route, & that first bounce of the ball took a crazy turn. By the time that it bounced the second time, it was already too late. What am I missing? I've watched the replay several times now.

M.C. O'Connor said...

Doug Glanville, who is a superb writer, had a piece on The Athletic about the play. It was his impression that the kid was too aggressive, and I tend to agree. He got burned by the english on the ball, but Glanville's take was that he was out of position and could not field it properly, and that the tie was inevitable due to the nature of the play, so preventing the go-ahead run was the first priority. I don't fucking know, I'm just a fucking amateur, but I had the same sense about the play. A veteran outfielder makes the safe play, at least that was Glanville's argument, and as I said it resonated with me. Exciting game, regardless. I don't really have a dog in the fight, I just enjoy a close game and hope they are all close.

Mark Melancon still alive. Drew Pomeranz eliminated. Matt Duffy and Sergio Romo still alive.