Monday, November 16, 2009

Outrage is too mild a word

Ryan Zimmerman of the Nationals beat out the Giants Pablo Sandoval for the 2009 Silver Slugger Award for National League third basemen. Managers and coaches vote.


Ryan Zimmerman

.292/.364/.525
.888 OPS
133 OPS+


Pablo Sandoval

.330/.387/.556
.924 OPS
142 OPS+


I'm sure Mr. Zimmerman is a fine fellow and all, rescuing babies from burning buildings and whatnot, but this is the SILVER SLUGGER award. According to the website:

They base their selections on a combination of offensive statistics, including batting average, on-base percentage, and slugging percentage . . .

Hmm. Batting average? Check. On-base percentage? Check. Slugging percentage? Check. I'm sure glad the managers and coaches were paying attention to the criteria for Silver Slugger Award when they filled out their ballots. Oh, wait:

. . . as well as the coaches and managers general impressions of a player's overall offensive value.

This is what we call a fudge factor. As in, "I never got to see Sandoval play, because I'm an East Coast guy, and the Nationals really suck, and the only other guy I know who plays third is David Wright and so, uh, I guess it's Zimmerman." That, my friends, is what passes for analyis in the upper echelons of MLB leadership.

Of course, any excuse to write about the Panda is fun. Here's the latest on his off-season (hat tip to OBM). How can you not love this guy? Here's what he says:

The fans, I love them and want them to know I'll always be the guy who's working hard.

Hah. Keep your damn silver bat, Zimmerman. Let's see you top that!

5 comments:

Ron said...

Come on, Mark - you've left out a few very critical numbers:

Zimmerman - 33 HR, 106 RBI, 110 Runs Scored

Panda - 25 HR, 90 RBI, 79 Runs Scored

This was a toss-up, at best. Yes, East Coast bias enters into it, but, by season's end, everyone knew who the Panda was. He'll win his fair share of these things.

Brother Bob said...

Yes, homers and RBI still count for something. The other factor is that Sandoval isn't exactly established at any one position. He's still a utility guy who plays 3rd base more often than the other 2 positions he can play.

M.C. O'Connor said...

How 'bout some Panda love, eh?

Yeah, I get the HR/RBI thing.

This is a GIANTS blog. Where's the outrage when our boy gets jobbed?

JC Parsons said...

At least, Zimmerman is very good. But I think Pablo deserved it. He certainly was more valuable to his team. It could be argued that Dunn had a better year for Washington, while there is no doubt that Sandoval was our best hitter. That doesn't really have much to do with the SS, but its the best OUTRAGE I can muster.
Isn't there a stat like WAR or Win Share that would help?

M.C. O'Connor said...

I always leave out the stats that hurt my case. I see no moral problem here: if you don't like my stats, go out get some of yer own.

Zimmerman is great and his glove makes him even more valuable. But the Panda's my guy, and I'm stickin' with him!