Sunday, August 23, 2009

Unsupported Tim

No, he does not need a jock strap. He needs an offense.

Tim Lincecum lost his fourth game of the season, 4-2 in Colorado. He gave up THREE HITS and none of those until the sixth. However, after seven innings, he had given up 3 runs ( a 2 run HR), 5 walks, 1 WP, 1 HBP and 8 strikeouts. Sounds effectively wild to me but all it really was was enough to lose. (Cool, a double "was"...)

What a glorious day it will be when our pitchers don't have to be frickin' perfect every time out. When that day will come, I wish I knew. I do think our offense is better than at the start of the season...but that is NOT SAYING MUCH. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. Worst of all, I can feel my expectations of Buster growing with everyday...basically he better hit a HR off Nolan Ryan in his first game or I'll be bummed.

Oh well, good thing we have our "hottest" pitcher going tomorrow...jeez, I can't believe I said that.

6 comments:

allfrank said...

It was depressing, making it hard to follow my own advice, but 6 months ago, I was eagerly anticipating an 83 orn 84 win season. Well, we are quite beyond that and the development is really underway. I have to keep reminding myself this is a development year and guys like Ishi, Schierholtz, even the Panda (who seems like a 6 yr veteran), Velez, even Lewis, all need to play. And playing when it counts, learning more and more and facing situations where a productive out will tie or win the game at the MLB level, should make all of them significantly better, dare I say it, significantly more "clutch" and "gamerish" next year. Still, mired in my immediacy, I have a hard time processing not sweeping Cinci, losing either of the Colo games, and, etc, etc.
But, it is Aug 23, we're still playing meaningful games. It's been a while since we could say that.

Theo said...

The Giants are 8-7 in Caincecum's starts post the ASG. There is so much pressure on the team the days they take mound because they are practically must win games.

This season is about rebuilding, but once you start thinking about the playoffs it hard to give it up.

Personally I don't think I could stomach watching this team in October. That would be pure agony.

Brother Bob said...

Twelve-Game-Winner Lincecum is too laid back. He needs to get surly and arrogant like a grownup. He needs to want to humiliate his opponents.
Thanks for the birthday wishes. It was indeed on my big 4-0 that I missed a Thompson homer by THIS MUCH, but I never actually touched. The Giants went on to lose to TL and proceeded to give away a good season ('93) from that day forward.

Brother Bob said...

Duh, that was ATL.

M.C. O'Connor said...

That was tough loss to take. I can't believe Tim gave up a HR, but it was in Colorado, humidor or not.

For next year I hope we expunge all players from the roster that are over 30 (except for the stiffs we are stuck with like Gomer and the Rental). And I'm a little sick of Frail Freddy--we gave up Tim Alderson for this broken-down singles hitter? Yikes. Sabean will probably give him a 3-year, $20 million deal.

Zo said...

I don't think Lincecum is laid back at all. I know he looks it, and he sounds like a slacker, but he pitches like he wants to totally dominate every batter. I think he studies carefully, thinks hard about what he can do on any given day and knows what every batter has done or not done against him. Lincecum is real good, but no one is good enough to be laid back and pitch like he can.