Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Giants score runs, win ballgame

Scoring runs is good. Score more than the other guys, you win. That was the formula last night as the Giants finally beat the Padres. Unlikely heroes Andres Torres, Eli Whiteside, Matt Downs, and Eugenio Velez combined for 8 hits, 3 runs, and 6 RBI. I mixed up a big batch of Manhattans (Wild Turkey Rye, 50-50 sweet and dry vermouth) before the game, figuring it would fortify me for the torture sure to come. Alas, all it did was knock me out and put me to sleep, so I missed all the excitement. That's probably a good thing as I'd have given up when Mike Adams entered the game in the 8th--we had not scored on him this season and he'd only allowed 1 run in his last 11 IP. So, what happens? Lead-off double by Rowand and "the big fly" by Torres and the game was tied, just like that. Got to give the lads credit for soldiering on and getting the W in 12 innings. Arizona is next, and their pitching has been bad. So bad they lead the league in runs allowed (244) and have the highest FIP (5.07).  Even the great Dan Haren is struggling a bit, having given up 8 HR and 32 ER in 9 starts so far, despite whiffing 62 guys in 59-2/3 IP. He pitched Sunday so we'll miss him this trip. Tim Linceum goes for us on Thursday, Todd Wellemeyer tonight.

--M.C.

update 0830: Beyond the Boxscore has some articles of interest to Giants fans. First off, we are the best fielding team in baseball and the Dodgers are the worst. Second, Barry Zito's improved pitch selection explains his 2010 effectivenessBtB stuff is more than a wee bit into NerdLand, so be warned. But I think we can all agree that the Giants have brought their gamer gloves to the yard every day. Defense is especially important when you have a weak offense.

4 comments:

Zo said...

I'm intrigued. What proportion whiskey to vermouth did you use - 3/1 I presume???? I made it until mid-11th. There are a number of things that have been disturbing about the San Diego losses, hopefully they have been reversed. Bad fielding. Just enough bad pitch selection and execution to lose. Lack of plate patience.

M.C. O'Connor said...

4:1

Brother Bob said...

I can't take much more of this crap from Wilson. We gave him a 3 run lead and he almost blew it. I know, sometimes he goes 1-2-3 and looks dominant, but way too often he blows chunks and then barely hangs on.

Anonymous said...

I personally think that Wilson does better when the stakes are high. He looks for a challenge.