Wednesday, July 28, 2010

10-run rule

I certainly didn't think it would take 10 runs to win today. Hell, I was licking my chops after the 4-run 1st! Later, I thought 7-2 was a sufficient cushion, and when Andres Torres splashed one to make it 9-2, I knew the Marlins were done. That kind of baseball savvy is hard-earned, me buckos. I know when teams are fork-ready, I surely do. And speaking of Andres Torres, who else deserved to be the hero today? Who but Torres would deliver the perfect 10 in the 10th? Here's his line for the last two games: 10 AB, 4 R, 7 H, 2 2B, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SB. The man is absolutely raking!

Jonathan Sanchez looked great through six, but couldn't get an out in the 7th despite being up by 7 runs. Jose Bautista got three outs, but managed to get an Uggla 2-run homer in there. Bautista struck out the previous batter Gaby Sanchez, but the wild pitch got past Posey and what should have been the third out was a baserunner. Still, the 9-7 lead looked safe as Sergio Romo threw a 1-2-3 8th. Brian Wilson had a shaky 9th though, with the rampant Dan Uggla proving to be the Giants nemesis, and we went to extras. Uggla had six hits--a double and five home runs--in the series.

Aaron Rowand and Edgar Renteria once again made something happen late in the game from their bottom of the lineup spots. Nate Schierholtz, pinch-hitting, loaded the bases with a clutch single to set up Torres' game-winner. Nine different Giants got hits, and seven different Giants scored. I would be remiss to mention the surging Juan Uribe, who had a 3-hit day including a 2-run single and a 2-run triple!

Another great win by a red-hot team. Keep it up, lads, keep it up!

--M.C.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope our bullpen doesn't blow up like that again. I'm starting to think that Brian Wilson's shoes are bad luck or perhaps Dan Uggla is a Giants killer. I don't like how two big pieces of the bullpen are no there (the only southpaws no less). Be nice if we could fill in someone cheap to make the ride easier. Go Giants!

Also, Dodgers got Scotty Pods. Not sure how I feel about that. I'm thinking he won't do too much.

Anonymous said...

*no longer

Zo said...

Denny Bautista, not Jose. How about those two triples for Uribe? A big lot of heft to be hauling around those bases.

M.C. O'Connor said...

Denny Bautista, indeed.