Saturday, July 10, 2010

DC downer

Matt Cain gave up 7 runs for the second time in his last five starts. It looked like he was done after six, but Ol' Boch sent him out for the seventh and it got ugly. Adam Dunn was the main Cain pain, stroking a double and two homers. Despite a 1-0 lead, the night started poorly for Matt, his pick-off throw to 2nd base in the bottom of the first was not something you see very often (unless you follow Little League). Stephen Strasburg looked very sharp, throwing a filthy change-up that reminded me of another phenom. Strasburg is a big guy, however, and looks like he could have played linebacker in college. He can also bring it at 99-mph. I think Tim might just have competition for "most exciting pitcher in the NL" next year. The kid turns 22 on the 20th. At 45-41, the Giants have the 9th best record in the league. Since only four teams make the playoffs, we'd best get cracking.

--M.C.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm also baffled why Bochy sent Cain out for the 7th, what with the All-Star break on Monday.

Love the site, keep up the great work!

Brother Bob said...

I was involuntarily "offline" for 4 days, which turned out to be the days the Giants crushed the Beer Makers. Whereas I was in a position to heckle yesterday, I thought it would be imprudent, since it might mess with a streak. Since the streak is over I am once again free to join in.
The game sure started well, didn't it? Torres crushes one into the bleachers against the phenom pitcher. Then that was about it, wasn't it?

Anonymous said...

I hope Andres is ok.