Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Confession

Bless me, Father, for I have sinned . . . (peccavi, peccavi)


Yes, I actually read words written by Bruce Jenkins, Chronicle Scribe. He says the Giants are ready to give up on Barry Zito. Uh, OK, thanks Bruce. Mr. Jenkins goes on to say the Giant would be willing to eat Zito's salary to move him off the roster. Yeah, we've all heard talk. But here's the clincher--the Giants are looking at Jeff Suppan to replace him.

Jeff Suppan.

So. Here's the plan. Spend a huge wad of cash to unload an aging, mediocre veteran in order to replace him with an aged, mediocre veteran. Zito is owed something close to $60M. If I understand the economics (never my strong suit), the Giants think spending $60M on Jeff Suppan is a good idea. And you thought the Aaron Rowand contract was bad.

Figure me for the "better the devil you know" side of things. If the Giants are going to spend $60M anyway, I'd take Da Beezy in a heartbeat. Todd Wellemeyer, anyone?



 . . . forgive me. (mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa)



--M.C.

No comments: