Monday, April 13, 2009

Uncertain Tim


For better or worse, the first six games have shown us that this season looks to be completely different from last season. Now that is probably a really good thing....I mean, we lost a lot, didn't we? And I love the young guys....Pablo and Travis are kind of the Obama versions of Will and Robby. What's not to love with that? This year's bullpen looks good as well as promising, last year's was just plain SCARY. So, ok, I am definitely in favor of a fresh start. HOWEVER....

....CAN I KEEP LAST YEAR"S TIM?

All those Easter jokes are going to waste. Tim did not rise, he continued his poor start to the '09 campaign with a 5.1 inning, 4 run, 10 hit, 3 walk performance. This came at the hands of a team that Tim obliterated last year. Likewise, the fact that the puds swept the series by smacking Lincecum around is disheartening. What happened to "Stopper Tim?" Two low quality starts in a row? Have all of last year's footholds crumbled?

I know it is too soon to really worry. And I am not, especially not about The Franchise. He will be fine, I'm sure of it. But my mind is boggled by all the uncertainties. This year's journey looks to be a wild one. I am searching for some bearing and the usual rocks are slippery. What do we know to be TRUTHS for the '09 Giants? Is there anything FOR SURE?

Can I at least count on Barry Zito to suck?

(Recognize the image? you should! I found it when I googled "uncertainity" Check this out!)

6 comments:

M.C. O'Connor said...

"Blade Runner" is one of my all-time faves!! BTW, the PKD novel--"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"--is one of those unique books that manages to be a deep philosophical rumination and a sci-fi adventure at the same time.

Tim got hurt by the fielders a bit (Mississippi Fred still has OF lapses), but the Puds were smokin' all series long. You have to figure the league is going to start catching up with Tim, and he has to adjust to stay on top.

My motto is "embrace uncertainty." That's the beauty of rebuilding and a youth movement--you are exploring new territory. No one knows what Sandoval and Lewis and Ishikawa and the rest actually bring to the table. It's going to be a roller-coaster ride but not one where you can see the tracks ahead. I always like sitting in the rear car anyway--much better "whiplash" effect!

Ron said...

Since we all seem to be in 1986 nostalgia mode, here's a quiz (try to answer without looking up the data):

- Who led the '86 Giants in HR's?

- Who led the '86 Giants in RBI's?

- Who led the '86 Giants in BA?

- Who led the '86 Giants in OBP?

- Who led the '86 Giants in SB's?

- How many CG's did 20-game winner Mike Krukow have?

- How many Saves did the Team Leader have? Who was it?

- Who had a 'clean sweep' in every possible positive statistical category for Pitchers' Hitting?

M.C. O'Connor said...

You realize that I live on Baseball-Reference.com, but I promise all my answers are "off the top" and no cheating.

1. Chili D
2. Leonard
3. Thompson
4. Evans
5. Gladden
6. 7
7. 25 for . . . Mark Davis?

GOD IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME!!! Didn't Will get hurt and lose months?

8. Bill Laskey

JC Parsons said...

1. Hacman
2. Hacman
3. Youngblood?
4. Gladden (No Evans that year)
5. Robby?
6. three
7. Minton? 30?
8. wasn't LaCoss a good hitter?

I am totally guessing on all of these. I don't think OBP existed back then.

M.C. O'Connor said...

How about Candy Maldonado? He was huge in 1986.

Was Chris Brown still on the team?

Sickening collapse in LA today. Every weakness on the team cruelly exposed.

Zo said...

"we all seem to be in 1986 nostalgia mode"
????
We are? Did I miss something? Blader Runner came out in 1982. BTW the director's Final Cut is great.