Monday, April 18, 2011

Double-digit Tim

In a game that seemed never to be in doubt, Tim Lincecum found a way to derail the "red hot" Rockies with a dominating win. Flirting with a no hitter and supported by the long ball again, The Freak coasted to an 8-1 victory in the opener of three in Colorado. Was it a "statement win?" Hell, yes it was. The statement was clearly that Tim Lincecum is the best and the NL West crown is ours for a reason.

Beyond the importance of this game to the 2011 campaign, Lincecum found a way to tap into some more amazing Giants history. Tonight's effort, a solid 76 game score:
7.2 innings 3 hits 1 earned run 3 walks and TEN STRIKEOUTS

marks the 28th time that Tim has recorded 10 or more strikeouts in a game, which ties him with the immortal Christy Mathewson. Timmy did that particular trick 7 times last season and he already has two this year. Want some more more fun Tim facts?
* tonight Tim went 6.1 innings before giving up a hit, which tops his previous best of six hitless innings against S.D. July '09
* ( including last year) Tim has limited opponents to one run or less in his last five road starts (5 er in 35.2 innings)
* his performance tonight pretty well matches his career long love affair with April : 11-2 with a 2.11 ERA before tonight! Yes, that is his best winning % and lowest ERA of any calendar month....except November, I guess.

Besides Timmy, the box score heroes that deserve a shout out are Nate (3 hits including a third deck HR) and Pablo (with three walks!!). These two guys look like they are about to take their games to the next level.

LET"S SWEEP THESE PUNKS!

9 comments:

M.C. O'Connor said...

Mike Krukow, after the game, referred to Timmer as "The Little Stopper."

I like it.

I have a man-crush on Nate Schierholtz. I'm so happy he had a big game. My god, that homer was LAUNCHED. Apparently his brother was sitting in that section (he's a cadet at AF Academy) and managed to buy the ball off the guy who wound up with it!

The Rockies sacrificed one of their own (Esmil Rogers) rather than try to match Tim. Let's make 'em pay for that.

Brother Bob said...

This one is a big deal. How sweet to crush the hot Rockies. Remind them who the World Champions are. And the greatness of Lincecum on display once again. To match a record set by Mathewson is no small thing.

M.C. O'Connor said...

Lincecum and Mathewson are one ahead of Jason Schmidt. It is easy to forget how dominant he was in his short time (5-1/2 seasons)as a Giant.

Tim continues to amaze us!

I'm curious about Ubaldo Jimenez today--he's only made one start this season.

Zo said...

Call me Esmil. Really, call me. I'd like to thank you for giving the Giants some confidence after fumbling their last game away against the dbacks. I was just ready to comment that Nate seemed like the surest out this side of a relief pitcher, and then, last night. Shows what I know. No explanation, however, of why his brother was sitting in the third deck of a mostly empty stadium. Tonight would be a good night for Jonathan to come up with one of his occasionally awesome games against Ubaldo Jimenez's first 2011 start.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious as well. I think he;ll either be AMAZING, SUCK, or just average. In other words, I have no idea what to think. I do know this, I'm liking Sanchez's start to the season.

Anonymous said...

Oh btw, I became a man yesterday.

M.C. O'Connor said...

If that is you, Francisco, details are required--18th birthday, perhaps? If so, now you can be arrested, sued, held liable for your actions, and can no longer fob debts off on your parents.

Welcome to the club, lad.

Anonymous said...

Lol yes, it's me. I turned 18 back on October 1st (same bday as Matt Cain!) However, I truly became a man yesterday. I told my best friend how I felt about her. I had never done that before. It's the ballsiest thing that I have ever done. I was rejected, however, I didn't even care at the time. All I could think about was "dang, that was ballsy." Everyone - including her lol - was very proud of me. I gave 110%. I did everything I could.

M.C. O'Connor said...

How could I forget you had the same birthday as Matt Cain?!?!?!?

My bad.


All you can do in this world is give it your best shot. Keep swingin'!