Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Zoog-your-mind Tim

Tim Lincecum overwhelmed the Padres with his usual assortment of two-seaming shuutos, split-fingered changeups, mind-fucking curveballs, and chin-musical heaters. Oh, and the slider. Like I could tell. He threw. They swung. We won. It seemed like he could throw whatever he wanted whenever he wanted and the Padres obliged with 13 strikeouts and only 3 hits. Tim used every part of the strike zone to befuddle the hitters and then got them out with stuff out of the strike zone. It was an amazing performance. I had no idea what was coming next and neither did the Padres. Nick Hundley absolutely 'tatered one to LF but hardly anyone else put much wood on any of Tim's pitches. The Giants needed a pick-me-up and The Franchise responded with a big start (Game Score 80). The bats got in on the act as well: a hit and two walks each for Andres Torres and Freddy Sanchez, three hits apiece for Aubrey Huff, Buster Posey, and Pablo Sandoval. That's 15 times on base for the first 5 spots, with 6 runs and 7 RBI. Brandon Belt got two hits as well. Brian Wilson made an appearance in the 9th inning with the team up 8-1 and managed to get two outs but left having thrown 23 pitches. Jeremy Affeldt couldn't get an out and Ramon Ramirez had to finish it. The final was 8-4 San Francisco. A satisfying and most welcome win to end an agonizing road trip. Santiago Casilla was placed on the DL (elbow inflammation) to make a spot for Wilson. Travis Ishikawa cleared waivers and was "outrighted" to Fresno, which means the Giants keep him for now.

--M.C.


p.s. I had the good fortune to run into some Opening Day tickets and will be in Section 141 for the presentation of the World Champions on Friday. I'll be electronically disconnected until Saturday night. I hope to be home in time for Matt Cain's game. I'll fill you in when I get back!

p.p.s. JCP had other obligations tonight so I took his spot in the lineup. He'll be pinch-hitting for me on Friday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That. Was. The. Best. Game. That I didn't see live. EVER. I wish I saw it :( Timmeh was absolutely dealing, Pablo had a great game on both sides of the ball, and so did pretty much everyone else. Sure, the 9th inning was forgettable, but still! Go Giants! Hopefully I'll be able to watch soon.

JC Parsons said...

I didn't get to see any of the game but I saw the Tim strikeout highlight video. Boy howdy the Freak had a nasty fastball!! Alot more third strikes on fastballs than usual. The video also drives home Mark's point about using the entire strike zone: inside, outside, high and, of course, low.
That dude is the quintessential ACE. We needed something BIG and he delivered.
Thanks for the coverage MOC, I hope I do justice to the home opener. Have fun.