Monday, August 29, 2011

Rattled Tim

He isn't wrong often, but I think we can all agree that my esteemed colleague, M.C. O'Connor, was quite premature when he called a game 10 days ago "the nadir." Oh yes... tonight's debauchery was much worse. Much , much worse...

Tim Lincecum (12-11) finally showed signs of breaking down under the pressure of carrying an historically anemic offense. Ugly (game score 42) barely describes it. The date will be remembered in the mass media as the first time Tim has ever given up three home runs in a game, but I will remember it as the first time I've seen Tim get truly rattled and throw away a game. Could it have come at a worse time?

Of course, we never had a chance against the dominating talent of Randy Wells (game score 89!!). I mean, come on....he lowered his ERA all the way down to 5.04!! Don't they really have to start adjusting pitcher's stats to reflect just how lame we are?? At least there should be an asterisk, right??

Sorry, I wish I thought this was the lowest point of the season. But I fear it can still get worse....

4 comments:

M.C. O'Connor said...

Ouch.

Nadir, indeed.

Ron said...

Pfffffffttttttt ... the sound, heard loudly during the top of the 7th inning, of the collective joy of our starting pitching staff's talent & enthusiasm finally yielding to the unbearable pressure of having to be perfect on a nightly, pitch-by-pitch basis. This moment has been inevitable. Is there a way to re-inflate the balloon?

Brother Bob said...

I had the same thought about the "nadir" pronouncement. It can't get any lower than last night. Can it?
Instead of watching the game I took Maggie to see "The Help." I wanted to see "Our Idiot Brother" but Maggie didn't. As soon as I dropped her off I turned the radio to KNBR. Immediately Soto hits his homer. Then the pitcher walks, then Cabrera blows a DP, then another homer. By the time I got home it was 6-0. Shocking. I did not turn on the TV to see the rest.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to rag on tim too badly, but someone like Juan Marichal probably would have matched his opposition and put gooseeggs on the board for at least 9 innings. Timmy had a low pitch count through 3 innings, and then that blew up. How many swing through strikes did he seem to get, only to be called no swing by the umps. Basicly no matter where the pitch was, if the Cubs did not swing, it was not a strike. Didn't matter, unless timmy shout them out, he was a loser because the offense just has gone on a prolonged vacation. It is no time to go on vacation when your team is in disaster mode.