Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Johnny Joy

SF 5  PIT 4
Johnny Cueto pitched beautifully in his return to action. The flashy righty threw a first-pitch strike to 12 of the 17 batters he faced. One hit, one walk, and four strikeouts in five innings (69 pitches) made for a tidy night's work. The Giants put up three runs right away against Pirates starter Mitch Keller and added two more in the 5th. It was just enough. Kyle Barraclough started the 6th but had to be bailed out by former starter Andy Suarez. He got through the 7th as well but Sam Coonrod and FNG Wandy Peralta made a mess of the 8th, giving up four runs. Former starter Shaun Anderson stepped up and got the final four outs, an impressive effort considering last night's ugly loss.

Speaking of last night, that was Game 144, the end of the 8th seasonal inning. It was ugly. The team went 6-12, nuff said. Here's the big picture:

1st inning: 8-10
2nd inning: 8-10
3rd inning: 5-13
4th inning: 10-8
5th inning: 11-7 
6th inning: 13-5
7th inning: 8-10
8th inning: 6-12

Giants get their 70th win and are now 70-75, and more importantly 1-0 in the 9th seasonal inning. There are 17 games left!

Logan Webb goes tomorrow night, 6:45 Pacific. GO GIANTS!

--M.C.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

When he first arrived, it took me a little while to decide that I really love Cueto, quirks and all. It was great to see him come back strong last night. Who knows how this season might have gone if we had just one more consistent starter. At the very least, I believe we would have hit .500 easily. But that is just fantasy stuff. Now I am hoping that Bumgarner signs with the Giants again so we have a core of starters for next year that can hold up the crowd of new guys. I am pretty excited about the possibilities for next year. That Dubon guy is amazing.

M.C. O'Connor said...

Cueto is impossible not to like. He's one of those rare guys who is a showman as well as an athlete. I hope they resign Bum, too. I feel like they will.

Barbara said...

Until I read you comment about Cueto being a showman, I didn't realize just how true that is. When he is in the game, I can't take my eyes off of him. I want to see what he is going to do next. Baseball is a strange game in that it can be boring as hell or wildly entertaining, sometimes almost simultaneously. With Cueto, it is never boring.