Thursday, March 26, 2020

Opening Day . . . Not!

Today was supposed to be Opening Day for Major League Baseball. The Giants were to open against the Dodgers in LA this afternoon. Opening Day has been marked in my calendar since I knew the date. I remember more than once, back when I was a working stiff, calling in sick in order to attend the Home Opener. I'm sure many of you have done the same!

This extraordinary response to the COVID-19 pandemic has robbed me of my favorite pastime--following the San Francisco Giants. That's a real bummer! At the same time I am encouraged by my fellow humans. People are really trying to do the right thing and fight off this virus. I'm not often proud of the human race, but lately I've been impressed. Folks are taking this thing seriously and doing what needs doing. Look past the callous shortsightedness and the vainglorious posturing of our so-called leaders in this crisis. Look to your neighbors, friends, and families. Listen to people who actually know something about diseases**. Communities will take care of business, all we can hope is that the apparatus of government will help and not hinder those efforts. (Don't forget to give a shout out to all those folks who have to leave home every day and go to work in order to provide us with essential services. They have to risk infection so we that we can be safe. I gave my mail carrier a big thumbs up and hearty thank you yesterday. From ten feet away, naturally.)

Tonight we are firing up the DVD player and putting in the Matt Cain Perfect Game disc! That was a special night, one of the greatest moments ever for all Giants fans.

Stay safe. Stay home. Stay positive.

GO GIANTS!

--M.C.


** WHO, CDC, HSPH, UCSF, for example

7 comments:

M.C. O'Connor said...

A message from Kap.

M.C. O'Connor said...

And one from Manfred.

M.C. O'Connor said...

Here's my RMC post from that epic night.

nomisnala said...

Still trying to find out what direct TV's plan is for the baseball package. I get it automatically, but with no baseball, I was wondering what their plans are for any discounts or refunds. They seem impossible to get through to, to discuss what options are available.

M.C. O'Connor said...

I imagine a lot of people are demanding refunds from many businesses right now. I shelled out 300+ bucks for lift tickets at Alpine Meadows right before they shut down. Normally lift tickets are non-refundable but their website said we could contact them for refunds, which I promptly did. I've gotten an automatic email reply ("we are processing your inquiry . . .") but nothing else. I suspect it will take a while to deal with the backlog. They will probably ask me to roll it over for lift tickets for next season rather than just cancel the sale--we'll see. Good luck with DirectTV! Tell them you'll cancel and I'll bet they'll fall all over themselves to make you happy.

Zo said...

"Per Passan, the league and union do not wish to begin play if fans cannot be present."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/03/mlb-rosters-frozen-conditions-set-for-resumption-of-play.html

nomisnala said...

I do not have 5 or 6 hours to be on hold with Direct TV. I still have to work from home.