Tuesday, November 10, 2020

News

The Giants signed a lefty-hitting third baseman named Jason Vosler to a one-year deal and added him to the 40-man roster. He's projected to platoon with Evan Longoria and can also play first base. Vosler is 27 and has never played in the bigs but had a breakout year at AAA for the El Paso Chihuahuas and was in the Padres player pool for 2020. Welcome, FNG!

Former Giants player Mac Williamson is suing the team (actually China Basin LLC) over his concussion injury in 2018. The bullpen mounds were still on the field then and he--I'm sure we all remember--hurt himself when he tripped on the left field-side mound chasing a fly ball. It was an unfortunate event and we all wished it never happened. The Giants and MLB, I expect, have a process for such claims and grievances, so I'm surprised by the suit, but I really don't understand that stuff. I feel bad for Mac and hope they can work things out.

--M.C.

update: Kevin Gausman will accept the Giants QO so he will be in orange-and-black next season, which is good news. The two sides are supposedly still talking about a multi-year deal. I think he's a reasonable risk for a 3-year contract, or a two-year extension on the current deal, something along those lines.

9 comments:

M.C. O'Connor said...

Besides Veterans Day, 11/11 is also Farhan Zaidi's birthday (he's 44).

Ron said...

Also, my Dad's Birthday - he's 93 - even though both of my Folks are having their struggles, we still had a nice celebration yesterday!

M.C. O'Connor said...

Good to hear. Happy Birthday, Shalom!

M.C. O'Connor said...

Kim Ng is the new Marlins GM. I remember thinking she would be a good fit in San Francisco, back when Sabean was stepping away from the role. I'm glad we have the team in place that we do (FZ and Harris and etc.) but I'm also happy for Kim Ng. Her name has been bandied about for at least a decade, maybe more. Now she gets the hot seat! I wish her luck (except against the Giants, of course).

M.C. O'Connor said...

Tyler Heineman goes to St Louis. Giants had outrighted him earlier. With Aramis Garcia coming back the Giants can add him to the mix with Chadwick Tromp and Joey Bart. I'm sure there will be a few other FA catchers picked up off the scrap heap at Spring Training. You can never have enough catchers.

M.C. O'Connor said...

Braves sign Drew Smyly for $11M for one year. Interesting that they jumped on him so soon! I thought he might come back to SF but I guess not. We'll see who the Giants target. Winter Meetings are not until December and that's when the Rule V draft takes place. Giants have to protect players by I think Dec 2nd.

nomisnala said...

I thought a Smyly return would be good, but I guess the braves figure they can win this thing with their hitting and former giants pitching.

M.C. O'Connor said...

So much for Aramis Garcia. He was DFAd. The Giants had to make room to protect players from the Rule V draft. They let go of Garcia and Chris Shaw (and RHP Jordan Humphreys) and they kept OF Alexander Canario and RHPs Kervin Castro, Camilo Duval, and Gregory Santos.

nomisnala said...

Some team will turn Chris Shaw into a legit 30 homer, 260 avg. power hitter.