Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Disaster in the desert

ARI 8  SF 4

The Giants shot themselves in the foot last night and hobbled through another ugly loss. Poor fielding, once again, was pivotal. Alex Cobb is clearly hurting, I'll be surprised if gets another start. Apparently he's had hip issues before and might need surgery in the off-season. The team has a $10M option ($2M buyout) on him for 2024 and I hope they keep him around.

I'm a fan and I always hold out hope for a miraculous turn-around but short of an eight-game winning streak or somesuch the Giants chances for the playoffs are vanishingly small. They really needed to win yesterday. At this point I hope they can hang on and finish with a plus-.500 record. There are eleven games left and seven of those are against the Dodgers.

Logan Webb goes this afternoon (12:40 PT). He was a beast last time out but got no help from his mates. He gets the Matt Cain Award for 2023, of course. I'm sure glad they signed him to a long-term deal.

Go Giants!

--M.C.

2 comments:

M.C. O'Connor said...

I'm staying with my Mom these days. She just turned 92 and lives on her own but things are, shall we say, "evolving." She's a big baseball fan and we were really excited about watching the game together. She usually keeps up a running commentary on things and peppers me with questions from start to finish but last night she was stone-faced and mostly silent! It was that kind of game.

Zo said...

Last night may have been the hammer blow, but I think Coors Field is where the Giants playoff fantasies died. We really needed to win at least 3 there against a team that was eliminated a week ago.