The 2022 draft produced one player with 10+ WAR and that's the Angels SS Zach Neto. He was a college pick (Campbell) and was the #13 selection overall. HS SS Cole Young was the 21st pick, he's the Mariners 2B and has 2.7 bWAR. Cubs starter Cade Horton (2.3 WAR) was a college pitcher (Oklahoma) and the #7 pick. Reds IF Sal Stewart was the #32 pick, he was a HS 3B and is listed at 1.6 WAR.
Rounding out the top five is HS SS Jackson Holliday (son of Matt) who has tallied 0.8 WAR as an Orioles infielder. He was the #1 pick that year.
Of interest to Giants fans is the #4 pick: Temarr Johnson (HS SS) went to the Pirates. He's in AAA right now. There's talk the Giants (with the #4 pick) will take HS SS Jacob Lombard.
The Giants took 2-way player Reggie Crawford in 2022 with the #30 pick. He's no longer a pitcher and has battled injuries. He's had fewer games in the minors than he did in college.
However the Giants made out OK with that draft as they've traded for the #19 pick (Daniel Susac) and the #28 pick (Drew Gilbert).
We'll take a look at 2023 and 2024 next.
--M.C.
5 comments:
The Mets fired their manager (Carlos Mendoza). Former Padres manager Andy Green takes the helm. He was with the organization in the player development department.
The Giants don't seem to be taking the "fire the manager" route yet. That's OK. I'm not sure that would make a difference. Finding some good pitchers seems a better use of Buster's time.
The Angels fired their GM, Perry Minasian, brother of Giants GM (Posey's lieutenant) Zack Minasian.
Last night was the 81st game, the halfway point of the season.
33-48 (.407) doubled is 66-96.
Last night the giants looked like a cellar dweller team. They erase their own base runners, and veterans took themselves off the bases. Arraez and Adames, both made rally killing mistakes. The giants had a bunch of truly challengable pitches that they did not challenge. On defense the error instead of the dp, the balk, the wild pitch all gave the braves an extra 90 feet, and it hurt. Even though they made a few good plays, overall it was another sloppy, give the game away effort.
I spent Friday in San Francisco.
Baseball events began at Alcatraz in the Recreation Yard on the baseball diamond (the NPS actually had bases there). I gave each of my kids my best windup with imaginary fastballs right down the middle. They took big swings and rounded the bases. I too took a turn at the plate and rounded the bases doing my best to avoid weed patches and the occasional western gull.
We got to meet ‘local’ author William Baker who was incarcerated in Alcatraz for a few years. I bought a copy of his book, Alcatraz #1259, and had the 94 year old sign it for me. It’s self published and based on the first few pages, very raw. That could mean it’s authentic and entertaining, or I suppose it could make it tough to read. I think it will be fascinating as hell.
Speaking of books, I’m just about finished with The Catcher Was a Spy, by Nicholas Dawidoff. It’s about MLB catcher Moe Berg and his work as a spy. While I imagine most would not consider it a page turner, I have thoroughly enjoyed it and found it to be a great story.
I attended my second Giants game of the season Friday night and it was another dud (my first game was the opening day one hitter). Not a lot to cheer about. The Oricle Park crowd’s loudest cheers came from Lou Seal busting out the t-shirt cannon, the tarps off young men being shown on the Jumbotron and from the occasional fly out. Yup, It’s not a hard core fan at Giants games these days, but I shouldn’t complain. At least the Giants continue to draw healthy crowds. Some might say the most exciting moment was when the chick in section 324 decided to get in on the tarps off action. Good for her. We don’t discriminate in San Francisco….
Speaking of discrimination, I gave Hentges a moderate Boo, but not too big of a boo. At least his hat didn’t have a bible verse written on it.
Giants win four of five against the Braves and I went to their one loss. Oh well. It’s always great to be at a ball game.
Go Giants!
Post a Comment