Monday, April 4, 2022

AWOL, Aloha, etc.

I'm going to be AWOL starting Thursday. That's Absent With Out Laptop. I'm going to Hawai'i for ten days and I'm going to miss the start of the season. People tell me that they have TV and the internet and all that mainland stuff over there but I'm skeptical. I thought Hawai'i was all about un-plugging and being chill and "single-tasking!" I guess I'll find out.

Anyway I'll be on the Big Island. Hilo, in particular. I know a young fellow (RHP) who plays for the University of Hawai'i Hilo baseball squad. Go Vulcans! I'm traveling with his Mom and Dad. The Vulcans play five games (Friday night, twi-night DH on Saturday, DH Sunday) against their arch-rivals from Oahu, the Hawaii Pacific University Sharks. It's Pacwest Conference (NCAA Div. II) action at its best! After the weekend of baseball we will stay the following week and come home Easter Sunday.

It's going to be a lot of fun. I've never been to the Aloha State. I'm a relaxed, spontaneous traveler. When I'm in a place I've never been I don't have an agenda. I don't care if I miss one of those "can't-miss" experiences. I like to leave reasons to go back to a place! I really enjoy just doing something ordinary somewhere extraordinary.

The furthest south I've ever been is Oaxaca City, Mexico. Got to see professional baseball there--the Guerreros. That was great, for a lot of reasons, among them the spectacular geographic setting. The Oaxaca Valley and the surrounding highlands are amazing. Hilo is a wee bit north of Oaxaca, and it's amateur baseball, but it's in the middle of the Pacific Ocean! On the windward slope of the biggest mountain in the world! I think that's pretty cool. I'll be missing the Giants but still enjoying the great game of baseball. And other stuff, too.

I'll put up an "Opening Day--Open Thread" post before I leave so everyone can chime in on the comments section. And I expect you to chime in! Never mind that I'll be gobbling sashimi and slurping micros, you've got a job to do!! Y'all have to pick up the slack while I'm shopping for board shorts.

Aloha!

--M.C.

8 comments:

M.C. O'Connor said...

Johnny Cueto signed a minors deal with the White Sox.

Ron said...

Well, have a great trip!!!! Super-cool that you get to see someone who you know play some College Ball!

M.C. O'Connor said...

Thanks! Yeah, it makes it more fun. He's a reliever and we hope he gets to pitch! It's pretty likely we will, but you never know how the games will go, of course. Regardless it will be a great adventure.

Zo said...

Hilo is a great place to visit. It is not at all tourist-driven like many Hawai'ian towns. It is the closest place to Volcanoes National Park. Agenda or not, you should check it out. Also the Saddle Road over the island contains some good spots to hike and bird-watch. And the observatory on Mauna Kea.

M.C. O'Connor said...

We fly to Kona so we'll be driving across the island to get to our place in Hilo. The Park is high on everyone's list. I'm eager to check out the volcanic areas. I'm bringing binoculars and hope to see some cool birds. My friends have been there before so that will help.

nomisnala said...

He lives high on the Island, He had no place to go, Nobody even knew his name so they called him Dr. No.

Zo said...

I'm reading in MLB Traderumors that Tyler Beede, Mauricio Dubon, Thairo Estrada, Jarlin Garcia, Darin Ruf, and LaMonte Wade Jr. are out of minor league options, so those guys either need to be on the ML roster, be released or be traded.

M.C. O'Connor said...

Ruf signed a two-year deal with a third-year option. Garcia signed a one-year deal.

Wade starts on the IL so that delays a decision.

With the 28-man roster to open the season plus Wade, Longo, and maybe La Stella out that allows them to keep everyone (Beede, Estrada, Dubon) for a while.