Tuesday, December 13, 2022

The Other Carlos

I've spent a lot of time thinking and writing about Carlos Rodón and have neglected to talk about The Other Carlos—Carlos Correa. According to Jeff Passan of ESPN the Giants have signed the 28-year old shortstop to a 13-year, $350M deal.

I admit to being flabbergasted. I did not expect this. Correa has been linked to the Giants but that means little. Everyone talks. I did not see this one coming. Of all the free agents he's the youngest so it's not surprising that he got the longest deal.

Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic has confirmed the deal.

Wow. That's all I have for you right now. Just wow.

Go Giants!

--M.C.


p.s. This ought to shut up the whiners. The word on Farhan is that he's a nickel-and-dimer and can't make the big play. Well, this is the big play.

 


 

3 comments:

M.C. O'Connor said...

Correa was the #1 pick overall in 2012. He has the highest bWAR, 39.5, of the group. Corey Seager, the 18th pick, is second at 25.4.


888 G, 3813 PA, 3346 AB, 508 R, 933 H, 186 2B, 9 3B, 155 HR, 553 RBI, 408 BB, 781 SO, 1602 TB

.279/.357/.479, 129 OPS+

31.3 fWAR, 130 wRC+

nomisnala said...

Today was my cousin, Paige Correa's Birthday. She may be a year or two younger than Carlos. When I saw that it was her birthday today, I thought it was a good sign. I crossed my fingers hoping that the giants would get Carlos. When I heard it happening, it was almost as good as when I heard that they were signing Barry Bonds in 1992. Not quite, but almost. At 27 million a year, it is not overwhelming against the salary cap per annum. I hope we can get a good 7 or 8 years, and perhaps he may end up being another Omar Vizquel, getting better with age. Villar and Davis could be options at first, but I am sure Correa would prefer to throw to a target like Belt. The giants now seem set with a line-up with a bunch of solid right handed hitters. Estrada, Slater, Haniger, Correa, Flores, Davis, Villar, Bart. We also have some solid lefty hitters in Crawford, Wade, Pederson. Luis Gonzalez. May make someone trade bait, or maybe Heliot Ramos could be on the block. We also have a bunch of decent infielders in the minors, but perhaps now Luciano can be tried in the outfield. We also have a bunch other decent prospects who look as if they could be in the majors by 2024.

M.C. O'Connor said...

Yeah the money is spread out so the yearly value isn't so high. Gotta watch out for that luxury tax!

I'm still in shock. I didn't think the Giants would go for a position player like this. He's really good all around: he hits for average, power, doesn't whiff a lot, draws walks, solid defender, etc. He's a 4-5 WAR baseline player.

This I presume moves BCraw to 3B and it also means the Giants have a superb backup SS!

Correa is a pretty big guy: he's listed at 6-4, 220 which is in between Manny Machado and Freddie Freeman.