Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Quincentennial Tim

On a muggy night in the nation's capitol, young Tim Lincecum wasn't at his best. On the other hand, his team, our beloved San Francisco Giants, were quite possibly at their worst.

Lincecum used 110 pitches to battle through 6.1 innings while surrendering 8 hits (including a hr!), 2 walks (versus 7 strikeouts), 2 earned runs and yet another no decision. Not disgraceful by any means, but certainly not artistic. His weaknesses (high pitch counts, holding runners) were quite evident, and some of his strengths (few hard hit balls) were not their sharpest. Overall, Lincecum's performance was relatively forgettable.

How I wish I could say the same thing about that game! Yuck! Errors, wild pitches, horrible bullpen action, Double Yuck! Even the fact that Rowand is still producing kind of creeps me out. That kind of game leaves me needing a shower. Quick, I need a silly Tim-related statistical analysis in order to stop reliving that game....something especially inconsequential. What's that? A "milestone?" PERFECT!


CONGRATULATIONS to TIM LINCECUM on STRIKEOUT#500 !!!
It took him eight pitches, but the milestone was reached with his first batter. Not surprisingly, Tim is the fastest to crack this mark debuting as a Giant since 1900. With 506 strikeouts, he is tied with Stu Miller for #45 on the Giants All-Time list. It is truly fun to look at the list of Top 50 Giants strikeout artists. (You have to scroll down a fair bit.) I was really quite surprised by several items. For example, Krukow and Shawn Estes are way higher than I would have guessed; The Count was even more nasty than I remember; and Jason Schmidt was a good Giant (and since he is such a bad dogger, in a way, he still is) .
Give it a look over and let me know what you notice. It will take your mind off things.

4 comments:

M.C. O'Connor said...

It is the 445 IP that stands out.

He's averaging 1.137 K/IP, only Schmidt is even close at 0.996 K/IP.

We are 1/3 of the way through Tim's season (11 starts) and he has 91 K's. If he keeps it up that will be 182 MORE, he'll take over spot 30 from Kirk Rueter, just behind Ed Halicki.

I always liked Ed Halicki. He was a good pitcher on some bad teams, and even threw a no-hitter.

Ron said...

I cherished my Ed Halicki Growth Chart. Do they have a Randy Johnson Growth Chart this season? Anyone remember Ed Halicki's nickname???

M.C. O'Connor said...

I forgot about the growth chart. He was a big, gangly dude. "The Cookie Monster?"

Ron said...

Ed Halicki's nickname was 'Ho-Ho'.